1. University Marketing. Identify key strategies to enhance university identity and presence in both internal and external communities. Plan, develop, and implement university-wide marketing, advertising, and media placement strategies. Develop and coordinate placement of marketing and advertising materials. Develop, recommend, and manage annual budgets for marketing and advertising. Utilize comprehensive knowledge of strategic marketing principles and planning; market research and evaluation methods, techniques, and statistics; advertising placement, contract negotiation, and evaluation of effectiveness; news, feature, Web, and marketing writing and editing for a variety of audiences; and budget management and state and university procurement procedures. Directing and managing photography and videography utilizing advanced knowledge of graphic design principles and content management.
2. Internet Marketing and Communications. Plan, develop, and coordinate strategies and tactics for university Websites. Plan, develop, and implement university marketing initiatives on the Internet. Represent marketing and communications team in planning, developing, and implementing the university-wide Website that communicates effectively with internal and external constituents. Collaborate with internal and external constituents to develop messages, designs, and content that communicate university marketing and communication goals. Serve as principal writer and content manager for university marketing and communications Website
3. University Magazine. Plan, develop, and implement marketing and communications strategies for Currents, the university magazine for internal and external stakeholders (circulation = 45,000). Lead editorial board in establishing and implementing editorial policies, content guidelines, and graphic guidelines for magazine. Plan, develop, and coordinate content production for the magazine. Serve as principal editor and writer for the magazine. Conduct and evaluate research to monitor reader interest and magazine impact.
4. Marketing Collateral. Plan, develop, and coordinate strategies and tactics for university marketing, promotional and development collateral materials. Serve as principal writer for university marketing, promotional and development collateral materials. Coordinate production and placement of collateral materials. Develop, recommend, and manage project budgets for marketing, promotional and development collateral materials.
5. Marketing Research. Plan, develop, and implement university marketing and advertising research. Develop, organize, and conduct focus groups, surveys, and other research instruments to measure and evaluate effectiveness of university marketing and communications strategies and tactics. Plan, develop, and monitor annual budgets for marketing and communications research
6. Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the smooth functioning of the department and maintain the reputation of Winona State University. Including but not limited to serving on committees and participating in professional development to remain current in the field.
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule which includes evening and weekend hours during various times of the year to participate in programs and events.
Overnight travel of off-campus events, meetings, and conferences
Ability to travel independently required
Must be able to load, unload, carry and set up materials at various event sites.
Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or related field
Three (3) years of professional experience in marketing, public relations, marketing and advertising copywriting, or mass communications
Familiarity with demographic and media measurement instruments
Familiarity with word processing, graphic design, and media planning and measurement software
Strong organizational, project management, and fiscal management skills
Demonstrated copywriting and copyediting skills and ability to direct and manage graphic design and layout
Effective communications, facilitation, and presentation skills
Ability to plan and negotiate contracts with vendors and media outlets
Ability to build collaborative relationships with diverse internal and external constituents
Ability to interpret the university mission, vision, strategies, and goals into an integrated marketing and advertising plan
A complete online application will include: 1. A cover letter which addresses the qualifications listed previously;
2. Curriculum Vitae/ Resume;
3. Transcripts (undergraduate and graduate);
4. A statement explaining your personal or professional experiences in working with diverse populations (such as persons from differing race / ethnic background, sexual orientation, age, gender, or mental and physical ability) as well as how the applicant would contribute toward a diverse and inclusive academic and employment culture and community at Winona State University. Statements should be 1 page or less;
5. Contact Information for at least 3 references, with addresses and telephone numbers.
6. [At least three letters of reference.]
About Winona State University: Founded in 1858, Winona State University (WSU) is the oldest member of the Minnesota State System of colleges and universities. Today WSU serves approximately 7,000 undergraduate and graduate students across two campuses in Winona and Rochester, Minnesota (MN). Winona State was named the second-best public institution in Minnesota by U.S. News & World Report's
Founded in 1858, Winona State University is a comprehensive public university with close to 8,900 students. The oldest member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System, Winona State offers 80 undergraduate, pre-professional, licensure, graduate, and doctorate programs on its three campuses: the original Main Campus in Winona, the West Campus in Winona, and Winona State University-Rochester.