Department: Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or email@example.com.
Job Description Summary
Provide professional clerical and administrative support functions for the Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences Department within the College of Engineering. Provide excellent frontline customer service to faculty, staff, students, and visitors. Must have experience using advanced features of word processing applications and spreadsheet/database software. This position requires the ability to work independently, with accuracy and attention to detail while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Provide excellent customer service to a diverse population of internal and external customers in a professional, friendly, and courteous manner, independently responding to inquiries and providing information on established programs and services. 2. Serve as the department Space Coordinator, responsible for accurate reporting of space, following the guidelines for institutional internal and external reporting in ASPIRE. 3. Serve as department Equipment Coordinator, responsible for maintaining accurate equipment inventory and providing data for internal and external audits utilizing Banner. 4. Serve as department Safety Coordinator, tracking, administering, and ensuring appropriate safety training and implementation of safety protocols. 5. Responsible for student hiring processes, including filing appropriate paperwork (I-9's, tax forms) and Electronic Personnel Action Forms. 6. Employ tools such as ASPIRE, BANNER, Banweb, Webfocus, Canvas, Concur, and Digital Measures to extract confidential information, access, compile and report statistical and budget data, and export data into Excel. 7. Independently compile statistical data, draft correspondence, prepare department and university reports and forms utilizing word processing, spreadsheet, and various applications software. 8. Responsible for updates to the content management system (CMS) for the department website. 9. Responsible for the hiring, supervision, training, and scheduling of student coaches for the Geology Learning Center. 10. Responsible for maintaining email lists; ensure regular updates with personnel changes. 11. Manage the routine mailings of department acknowledgments and other correspondence to alumni, donors, and industry contacts. 12. Utilize the suite of Google tools to collect responses to surveys/forms, maintain content on google sites and network drives, and compile data as needed. 13. Maintain and purchase the inventory of supplies for the office, order office furniture, ensure copiers and printers are working. 14. Manage department calendars for classes and meetings; arrange for appropriate resources, including audio/visual needs, distribute agendas, and follow-up as needed. 15. Coordinate and process routine paperwork, including check requests, travel expense vouchers, purchase requisitions, meal reports, and blanket orders; and maintain required documentation and records. 16. Maintain digital marketing measures using social media platforms, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. 17. Maintain administrative aspects of research programs, including processing and tracking proposal forms and supporting award documents. 18. Coordinate special events such as advisory board meetings, alumni socials, orientation, and open houses. 19. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. 20. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work. 21. Perform other duties as assigned
High school diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● Five years of experience in clerical or administrative support ● Experience using advanced features of word processing applications such as utilizing columns or tables, sorting, and mail merges ● Experience using advanced features of spreadsheet/database software ● Five years basic computing skills
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Associate Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired ● Experience working in higher education ● Experience using MS Word, Excel, Banner, Google (drive, calendars, form, and sheets) ● Experience using Web Focus
● Excellent interpersonal, customer service and oral/written communication skills. ● Demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize in a fast-paced environment. ● Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information. ● Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines. ● Demonstrated ability to work with accuracy and attention to details. ● Demonstrated ability to work independently and take the initiative to solve problems. ● Demonstrated ability to work effectively with frequent and multiple interruptions. ● Demonstrated knowledge of proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. ● Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and contribute to the overall smooth operation of a service environment. ● Demonstrated ability to adapt to change. ● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty and staff. ● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff. ● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● The ability to learn new computer-based applications.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. ● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel and object. ● Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color and peripheral vision; and the ability to adjust focus. The employee may be required to lift up to 25 pounds. ● The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Contractual. External candidates will receive the minimum amount ($14.25/hr)
Title of Position Supervisor
Internal and External Posting
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
UAW Posting 12/09/2022 - 12/15/2022 External applications will only be reviewed after internal applications are first considered. Your references should include the contact information for at least three (3) professional references.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Applications from women and minorities are encouraged.
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.