Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Carnegie Mellon University, cmu.edu, is a private, internationally ranked research university with acclaimed programs spanning the sciences, engineering, technology, business, public policy, humanities and the arts. Our diverse community of scholars, researchers, creators and innovators is driven to make real-world impacts that benefit people across the globe. With a bold, interdisciplinary and entrepreneurial approach, we do the work that matters.
We are seeking a dedicated video creator and leader, experienced in the art and science of creating time-based and photographic media for a variety of marketing purposes and platforms! This versatile, hands-on, organized storyteller will lead the video and photo team within the central University Communications & Marketing division at Carnegie Mellon University. This position will oversee the concept, pre-production through post-production and packaging of visual content. This person will have experience managing a small internal staff as well as a full production crew.
The Director of Visual Storytelling will have a background in video creation and production for social, digital and broadcast ranging from five-second minis to long form informational segments. This director will be able to understand business objectives, discover the marketing hook and turn creative briefs into successful visual storytelling solutions measured by performance analytics.
This position sits within the creative department, working alongside design and content curators and reports to the Senior Director of Creative. The Director of Visual Storytelling will work closely with other managers and members of the creative team, colleagues in UCM and across the university to help build on-strategy, coordinated, award-winning marketing and communication materials.
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Plan, build, edit and complete digital video and motion graphic productions on a wide variety of topics consistent with organizational objectives
- Translate marketing objectives and business goals into exciting creative solutions
- Work with director of creative content to build and maintain a calendar of long-range and short-range multimedia projects
- Coordinate and capture video and photos
- Take responsibility for the vision and quality standard of the output of the team
- Be a hands-on producer/editor, working with the team and latest technology
- Pitch ideas confidently and present the creative vision clearly to collaborators
- Hire, develop, and inspire the team
- Optimize video and multimedia content for appropriate channels and measure performance
- Ensure that all of creative output/visuals are consistent with the overall brand
- Oversee and produce multiple projects at a time
- Assist senior director of creative in the structuring and development of organization and process for the team
- Meet with supervisor and team to discuss issues and progress on projects
- Keep abreast of new marketing methods, technology and video trends
Adaptability, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within University Communications and Marketing. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a varied population of diverse audiences. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
You should demonstrate:
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Effective work under pressure in a fast-paced environment while meeting all applicable deadlines
- Ability to prioritize and run various project simultaneously and understand detailed requirements and determine a plan that will ensure they are met within schedule and resources
- Excellent interpersonal skills to clearly and effectively communicate the creative vision, concepts, ideas, and solutions to collaborators, internal teams, and clients
- Bachelor's degree in video, time-based media or a visual design field or equivalent professional experience
- 5 years of professional experience as a senior-level producer
- Proven experience leading a video staff
- Proven experience directing photographers and the photography process
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in visual storytelling
- Creative writing and storyboarding skills
- Advanced use of editing software; Premiere Pro, DaVinci Resolve, AfterEffects, Audition and working knowledge of Lightroom, PhotoMechanic, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat
- Working knowledge of social media platforms (including Reels, YouTube, Vimeo, TikTok) and optimizing video for performance and SEO
- Be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism
- Experience in higher education a plus, but not required
- Successful background investigation
- This position resides at CMU's Oakland campus and requires presence in office a minimum of 3 days per week
- To be considered for this position, please submit a resume, letter of interest, work examples and salary requirements with your application. Applications selected to move forward may be asked to complete an additional creative assignment as part of the selection process
Interested in this exciting opportunity? Apply today!
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Staff - Regular
Full Time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance