To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Description Summary
The Manager of Marketing and Communications (MMC) oversees media content and relations for Michigan Technological University’s Center for Educational Outreach (CEO), including the development and execution of creative strategies to highlight and promote the Center’s large programming portfolio. Working closely with internal and external stakeholders, the MMC leads the Center’s overall marketing and communications efforts with a focus on amplifying visibility and supporting the mission and outreach goals of the University.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Develop and implement an integrated strategic marketing and communications plan to broaden awareness of and promote the Center’s programs and priorities. 2. Liaise with internal and external partners to create and execute a marketing/public relations strategy that includes content creation, digital marketing, ads, and earned media. 3. Oversee development and creation of graphic assets, including photos and videos as well as print and digital communications, including program guides, mailers, digital newsletters, an annual report, electronic communications, websites, and social media. 4. Work closely with the Executive Director and Director to manage external partner and media relations, including coordinating social media presence, press releases, event summaries, media interviews and appearances, etc. 5. Create and maintain a detailed communications calendar for the department. 6. Assist with the recruitment, hiring, training, and supervision of temporary and student staff as needed, especially digital media specialists and interns. 7. Maintain excellent communication with internal and external stakeholders to positively represent the Center, its programs, and the University at all times. 8. Contribute to the creative vision and strategic planning of new initiatives in the Center for Educational Outreach, especially with regards to their marketing and communication. 9. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives. 10. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work. 11. Other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Marketing, or a related field.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● Three years of direct experience with design, production, content creation, and website design, development, and maintenance. ● Three years of administrative experience, including event planning and coordination. ● Experience working with or advising youth. ● Experience working with Federal or State grant programs, particularly for students from underserved populations. ● Demonstrated experience with video production, print, and electronic media design (applicants must be willing and able to submit samples of their past work if requested).
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Master’s degree. ● Familiarity with TRIO programs including Upward Bound, Talent Search and/or other programs currently administered in the department. ● Experience working with K-12 youth in an academic program environment. ● Experience conducting non-traditional educational programs and outreach/event planning. ● Experience working with diverse groups of students. ● Experience with program development and implementation.
● Demonstrated proficiency using advanced features of Google suite, website management and presentation software, Adobe Creative Suite, and other relevant programs. ● Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service and spokespersonship. ● Demonstrated commitment to working with underrepresented populations and advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. ● Excellent attention to detail, presentation, and oral/written communication skills. ● Demonstrated ability to independently manage multiple projects and organize/prioritize work assignments while exercising effective time management. ● Demonstrated ability to work effectively under conditions with frequent interruptions, shared resources, and multiple deadlines. ● Demonstrated willingness and ability to work nontraditional hours. ● Demonstrated ability to use discretion with confidential or sensitive information. ● Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team. ● Demonstrated ability and willingness to travel on occasion. ● Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment. ● Willingness to participate in professional development and undergo vigorous safety training and background/criminal records checks. ● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
● Demonstrated ability to navigate dynamic, urgent/emergent, and/or sensitive situations. ● Demonstrated ability to be a positive representative of the department and University to internal and external constituents. ● Positive attitude toward innovation, student service, and a sense of humor.
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Work will typically be done in an office environment where noise levels are usually low to moderate. Frequent non-traditional hours, including occasional weekends and holidays will be required, as well as occasional travel.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)
Negotiable, No less than $42,000
Title of Position Supervisor
Executive Director of Enrollment Initiatives
Internal and External
Dependent on Funding
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Your references should include the contact information for at least two (2) professional references.
Michigan Tech is an internationally renowned doctoral research university located in Houghton, MI in Michigan's scenic Upper Peninsula, on the south shore of Lake Superior. The area provides a unique setting where natural beauty, culture, education, and a diversity of residents from around the world come together to share a superb living and learning experience.
Michigan Tech is proud to be an ADVANCE Institution that has thrice received National Science Foundation support to increase diversity, inclusion, and the participation and advancement of women and underrepresented individuals in STEM.
Our scope is international. Our approach interdisciplinary. We work at the intersections of communication, composition, literature, modern languages, philosophy, rhetoric, visual studies, linguistics, gender studies, and technical communication. Our students develop the communicative, analytic, and cultural knowledge to thrive in all aspects of their future lives.Applications from women and BIPOC scholars are highly encouraged by both the department and the institution. Michigan Tech is building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from all individuals.